Jan 8, 2009

Phases of the Project

My favorite "beta-version" of the interactive got a face-lift over my Christmas break, and I have decided that I am ready to move on to the next part of my project: adding content.

My technique for drawing the cells: The first part of the interactive I will be adding content to is the "Cells" tab. I have begun drawing all of the cells that will be shown at the exact same scale, such that 1 micrometer (or micron, or um) is equal to 1 cm. This corresponds to a magnification of 10,000 X. I have a large pad of sketch paper, and on one sheet of it, I drew a 1 cm grid. This, I place underneath a blank sheet of the same paper, so that when I am drawing the cells, I can simply count off the squares to know exactly what the dimensions should be.

So far I have drawn:
  • some red blood cells
  • a sperm cell
  • two columnar epithelial cells
  • a squamous epithelial cell
  • some bacteria
  • some yeast

Before today, I didn't know quite how interesting-looking yeast is. Check out this link for yeast and other cool pictures from the kingdom Fungi: http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~simmons/16cm05/1116/16fungi.htm .

No comments:

Post a Comment